Gaius Iulius Verus Maximus, son of Emperor Maximinus Thrax, bears the title of Augustus, although he was officially only Caesar (proclaimed in the first months of AD 236). The authorities in Philippopolis probably flattered the imperial family, since they titled Maximus as Augustus in other inscriptions as well: IGBulg 1374 (a milestone with nearly identical text); IGBulg 1515; AE 2006, 1247; and AE 2006, 1248.
The number at the end of the inscription indicates a distance of 11 miles (ca. 16 km), but the milestone was found at the outskirts of Philippopolis, at approximately half a mile from the Eastern gate of the city. If it was once erected at the eleventh mile from Philippopolis, it must have been then brought back to the city in order to be used as building material. It might well have been only prepared, at the very end of Emperor Maximinus the Thracian's rule, and then left in the city after having become useless due to the sudden change of the emperor.